1970 LOTUS ELAN S4 SE (ENHANCED) – 2,000 MILES (SINCE BUILD) – £44,950
The Elan was years ahead of the opposition and another masterpiece design by Colin Chapman, even today it is hard to find a better driving lightweight sports car.
This is a genuine home-market SE model that was first registered in Uk in 1970 and although in generally good condition it underwent a transformative upgraded restoration from 2017 to 2019.
The brief was to retain the basic qualities of the original Elan design but to enhance weaker areas well recognised.
The transformation included:
- Tony Thompson 26R strengthened chassis protective coating applied, Spyder tubular wishbones
- Adjustable front and rear dampers inc adjustable springs
- Upgraded grooved brake discs, callipers, master cylinder, steel braided hoses
- Engine fully rebuilt inc forged pistons, high lift cam, bigger valves, balanced crank, gas flowed, big bore stainless manifold etc.
- New Voigts 5 speed gearbox(based on Ford) upgraded diff carrier, prop uj etc.
- Uprated Coolex radiator, rad ducting, elec fan all resulting in big cooling improvements
- Modern electrical rewire with 16 fuses, high torque starter, lightweight alternator
- Bodywork reworked integrating flared wheel arches, loors stiffened
All of the above and more has been carried out to the highest standards and panel fit quality is the best I have seen on any Elan.
On the road, she is incredible retaining the balance and poise of this amazing design but with even more precision and long-distance ability with the long-legged, 5-speed gearbox and carefully tuned engine.
The standard of finish throughout is outstanding and detailing to a much-improved standard especially integrated into the build to offer reliability often lacking in standard Lotus cars.
All the work is documented and there is a very thorough history file mostly populated with invoices from the UK’s respected Lotus specialists, mot certificates, and thousands have been spent ensuring she is the best looking and driving Elans available.
She has even featured in Classic and sports car magazine recently.
Many motoring enthusiasts claim that the Sprint is their favourite driving machine and any serious driver will agree once you sample the fluidity of the chassis the lightness of the controls and the evocative sound of the race-bred twin cam.
These are very special machines and have never been replicated with any modern design proving that Colin Chapman was a design genius way ahead of his time.
Supplied fully inspected, serviced with 12 months warranty.
INCLUDED IN EVERY SALE
– Workshop inspection and report inc photo library
– Engine compression check and boroscope
– Full service inc engine tune
– New mot inspection (inc exempt cars)
– Detailed valet inc Dynoglaze paint treatment
– Free delivery in covered trailers
– Detailed handover inc “user tips”
– Travel spares kit inc fluids etc
– 12 months comprehensive warranty
– Free collection/delivery and loan car if necessary
– Free 11 month warranty checkover and service